Thursday, April 29, 2010


Block 3 completed! I was looking forward to a nice long weekend (to commemorate ANZAC Day) but managed to get myself sick with some version of the flu so ended up taking 2 days' sick leave as well. But it wasn't a complete waste of time. Did Block 3 whilst sitting like a zombie in front of the TV. I love the colours...they helped cheer me up. My yellow outer triangles are a different fabric from the picture so will be interested to see what fabrics you other ladies have. I think I cut my triangles with the half flowers a bit differently too. In the pattern, the half flowers aren't so prominent so maybe I overdid it. But still having some problems with those pesky tails. Hardly took any time to put together...maybe that's partly due to the excitement of opening the package, drooling over the fabrics and cutting them up...this fussy cutting is addictive. Or maybe I was just bored witless. I think I will have to disinfect my block.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I haven't got my parcel yet - might have to email tonight I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love your block! I can't recall the flower placement in the picture, but if I've got enough of that fabric, I'll cut mine like yours. I also have the more subtle yellow print for the outer triangles and I'm glad to see it worked up. I liked the spots in the original photo and felt a bit of a pang when I saw I didn't get it. Feeling much better now:) Also, with regard to the tails...in block #2, I actually cut them a bit BIGGER than the template called for. I know that sounds like it would exaggerate the problem, but in reality I had a longer/more 'tuckable' tail vs. a stubby lump. It worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIour blocks looks great! I received my fabrics last Friday and have the pieces basted. My local quilt shop is having a handwork tutorial/sit&sew on Saturday and I'm going to get advice from English paper piecing expert who leads the group. I got the same yellow print for the outer triangles. But I really loved the spots so I need to search my stash for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a bit disappointed too that I didn't get the yellow fabric with dark dots for the triangles but seeing as I cut the half-flower triangles the way I did, maybe the dots would have been too much. I might try cutting those tails a bit longer too next time. My seams around the diamonds were a bit smaller this time because of the fussy-cutting and making sure I got the flowers that I wanted so that probably didn't help. I've done some paper-piecing before and haven't had to trace the shape onto the right side of the fabric before...I guess that's to help with the fussy cutting...but I find it a bit tedious trying to make sure you can't see the pencil marks when you fold over the seams...I don't bother doing that for the outer triangles. Gretchen, maybe on
    Saturday you can find out if there's an easier way.

    ReplyDelete